Varnishing entails the application of a thin coat of varnish in order to :
- Obtain a glossy or matte finish
- Achieve particular effects, such as pearlescence, iridescence, metallic or colored finishes
- Provide protection against physical and chemical effects
- Ensure a particular function, such as protection against UV rays or fungi, or to create a thermochromic effect
- Change the texture of the surface
Various types of varnishes (e.g. polyurethane, acrylic) are used depending on the effects sought.